It is not known when Seaton Bowling Club was formed, but it has been established that the Club was first affiliated to the Devon County Association in 1910 and accordingly centenary celebrations were held in 2010.
The Club originally played its bowls in the vicinity of Westwood Way, adjoining Colyford Road near the ground of Seaton Town Football Club, before moving to its present location in Sea Hill in 1929.
The green, which is leased from East Devon District Council and was laid at a cost in the region of £600, was officially opened on 18th July, 1929 by Mr G. Lang, President of the English Bowling Association.
A detailed account of the occasion of the opening of the green was published in the Pulman’s Weekly News of 23rd July, 1929.
The original pavilion in Sea Hill was a wooden hut. During the ensuing years this was replaced by a pavilion of a more substantial structure but of basic design.
With the aid of a Lottery Grant in 1996, repayable bonds purchased by the members and fund raising events, the Club were able to extend the pavilion and incorporate a modern kitchen and a bar.
Additionally, the dressing rooms were designed in such a way that partitioning can be removed at the end of the outdoor bowling season to allow room for two rinks of short mat bowls to be played, plus a skittle alley, to give members alternative interests during the winter months.
History of the Club